Tips for new work from home employees
So you’ve been set up to work from home (WFH) for the forseeable future. Here are a few tips we have as WFH experts with decades of experience.
- Talking to yourself is totally acceptable – it’s called “staff meeting”
- Yes, you can wear your jammies to work, but proper etiquette is to wear CLEAN jammies
- You don’t have to apologize for your kids, dogs, Amazon deliveries, etc. causing background noise. We get it. We feel you, but see below
- On the same topic, learn how to un-mute and use a headset 👏🏻ON YOUR OWN TIME 👏🏻
- Refrain from asking neighbors “OMG what YEAR is it??” when you *finally* go outside (in your jammies)
- Yes, you can actually get laundry folded, and put away while on conference calls (see #7)
- Invest in a wireless headset: this one is my favorite – Savi 700 series – which integrates with most collaboration tools, supports computer VOIP, and has built-in mute and answer capability on the headset)
- You must hardwire for web conferences. Wifi is not your friend – see robo-voice. Not sure what this means? Connect the laptop to the router directly
- Don’t sleep in the jammies you wore to work, because those are, like, work clothes now
- Put your work away! I like to close my office door when I’m done for the day to make sure I’m not tempted to work on a pet project after hours. I’m trapped at home with my family – why not enjoy the time with them!